Arthritis is a chronic, debilitating condition that has no cure and causes the inflammation of one or more joints. It leads to pain and stiffness that can worsen with age. If left untreated, it can cause permanent damage to the joints.
Different types of arthritis exist, each with different causes including wear and tear, infections and underlying diseases.
They include rheumatoid , osteoarthritis, infectious and metabolic.
1. Family history
Some types of arthritis run in families, so you may be more likely to develop arthritis if your parents or siblings have the disorder.
Your genes can make you more susceptible to environmental factors that may trigger arthritis.
The risk of osteoarthritis, rheumatoid, and gout increases as you grow older.
Women are more likely than are men to develop rheumatoid arthritis, while most of the people who have gout, another type of arthritis, are men.
4. Previous joint injury
If you have injured a joint, perhaps while playing a sport, you are more likely to eventually develop arthritis in that joint.
Being overweight puts stress on joints, particularly your knees, hips and spine. Obese people have a higher risk of developing arthritis.
- Injury which leads to osteoarthritis
- Abnormal metabolism which leads to gout and pseudo gout
- Inheritance such as in osteoarthritis
- Infections such as in the arthritis of Lyme disease.
- Immune system dysfunction which occurs when your body’s immune system attacks the tissues of the body
What to avoid
- Fried and processed foods
- Sugars and refined carbohydrates
- Dairy products
- Alcohol and tobacco
- Salt and preservatives
- Corn oil
How to manage it
- Balancing activity with rest
- Using hot and cold therapies
- Regular physical activity
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Strengthening the muscles around the joint for added support
- Using assistive devices like walking sticks
- Taking pain relievers or anti-inflammatory medicines
- Avoiding excessive repetitive movements
TALK TO US!
Are you or someone you know planning on travelling for medical treatment in India (or any other country overseas) for a chronic disease e.g. cancer, knee or hip replacement, liver or kidney transplant; wellness checkup or to improve your form, shape or appearance through cosmetic procedures or reconstructive surgery?
We can help you get there faster, easier and better prepared.